Saturday, September 1, 2012

Shrimp Nacho Bites




Have you ever noticed how some people are unhappy no matter where they go or what they're doing?  Some people always have something to complain about.  Some people find fault with any new place they move, or even visit.  Some people find fault with every new person they encounter, and every person they live and work with, perhaps even smiling in their faces while behind their backs they tear them down.

Some people, on the other hand, are adaptable, and can be relatively happy anywhere.  They move to a completely new place, totally unfamiliar, and end up thoroughly enjoying it, while even most natives say they can't stand the area.  Some people see the best in other people, and try their best to like and get along with everyone.  It is rare for this type of person to hate or even actively dislike someone.  It is rare for them to complain about their lot in life, for they are thankful for everyone who cares about them, and for the resources to be able to live and have fun with those people who care about them.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I've been thinking a lot about human nature, and how some people do fit the first description above.  I personally try to be more like the second person.  While no one can be perfect all the time, and exactly fit the description of Person B, I do try my hardest.  Every day.  Even when I am sometimes surrounded by Person A's, and it's tempting to just complain about everything all the time.

But I have so much NOT to complain about!  I have an amazingly loyal and loving family, great friends here and all over the country, a boyfriend who is thoughtful, respectful, reliable, affectionate, and hilarious, a good steady job, and the ability to buy, make, and eat great food.

What do you have to be thankful for?  I know it's not Thanksgiving or anything, but give it a try.  Go ahead, actually make a list.  It will make you feel great to look at a quantified representation of all that is good in your life.  You might be surprised at how much good there is.

These shrimp nacho bites were made for a party at my friend's house that turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun.  Even though I was among people I didn't even know that well, I made the best out of what could have been a slightly awkward situation (perhaps for past-Laura), and I had a blast!


Shrimpy jimpy!  I don't know for sure, but I think that's from a book I read when I was little, hehe.


Cilantrooooo...  Yes, it's a lot. And you use a very teensy amount in this recipe.  But you'll see what I used the rest for in a post coming your way very soon ;)


Shrimp 'n' beans, shrimp 'n' beans...


Post-baking, they should look something like this.   You can even use moar cheese than I did!


Finished.  You don't have to make as vast a quantity as I did, but if you do, it will take a little while to  top them all!


Shrimp Nacho Bites
(inspired by a recipe from Brown Eyed Baker)

48 scoop-shaped tortilla chips
1 16-oz. can refried beans
1 bag shredded Mexican blend cheese
40-50 medium-size frozen cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp, thawed and tails removed
1 cup guacamole
1 cup salsa
1 cup pico de gallo
fresh cilantro (used as garnish)

Preheat oven to 300˚F.  Line up all chips on baking sheets.  Thaw shrimp per directions on package.  Wash cilantro thoroughly.  Spoon small amount of refried beans into the bottom of each chip, making sure to leave room for a medium-size shrimp.  For any bites you want to make without shrimp, fill the chip up about halfway with refried beans.  Press 1 shrimp into the beans in each chip, leaving them off the ones you filled up with beans.  Sprinkle all chips with shredded Mexican cheese.  Bake at 300˚F for approximately 3-5 mins or until cheese is melted.  Remove from oven, top about 1/3 of the bites with a small dollop of guacamole, 1/3 with a small dollop of salsa, and 1/3 with a small spoonful of pico de gallo.  Top each bite with a small sprig of cilantro.  Serve immediately.  Makes 48 nacho bites.

  • You can use whatever toppings you want in this recipe.  Sour cream might have been a good substitution or even addition to the salsa, guacamole, and pico de gallo.  You could have even used chicken, pork, or beef in place of shrimp.  The possibilities are endless!
  • If you do not want to serve these immediately, or if you foresee having leftovers, leave off the cold toppings on some of them.  If you don't, your chips will all get soggy in the fridge like mine did.
  • A variation on this recipe (which would prevent sogginess) would be to leave off all the toppings and have the guests top their nacho bites themselves, providing small bowls of guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, and sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Laddie. Love em!

    Let's see. I'm thankful for my wonderful fiance. I'm grateful for my job because even though it's not where I want to be, it allows me the freedom to do things that will get me there. I am grateful for my new baby kittens and their snuggliness. And I'm grateful for having great friends like you who remind me to look on the bright side. :)

    Luv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wawww, thank you! Great list :)

      Kittens? What kittens? You must show me pictures nao.

      <3

      Delete