Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cilantro Pesto Pizza Bread


Can we talk about birthdays for a moment?  Mine was this weekend, and it was good, but strange.  I guess when we talk about birthdays, for a lot of us, that means talking about expectations.  I know I'm guilty of having a lot of expectations for what that day will be like.  I expect cake, I expect cards, I expect presents, and now that I'm older I expect some booze...  But I try my hardest to be flexible so that if things aren't perfect, I'm not disappointed.  It's hard, though, when a birthday is celebrated without your family, without most of your friends.

I will say that my coworkers really helped make that day special with all the decorations, gifts, and sweets they presented me with - I was really touched by all their efforts.  And all the cards and gifts I received in the mail, all the calls, texts, and Facebook posts reminded me that there are people all over the country (and the world!) who love me and who were thinking about me that day.  For all of you I am deeply and humbly thankful.  And, of course, my wonderful and doting boyfriend wanted to make my day as special as he could, and we did have a fun, special night out eating my favorite food, pad thai noodles.

It's hard to reconcile your expectations with reality sometimes.  And not just on birthdays either.  That's actually one of my biggest flaws - inflexibility.  Wanting things to be just so.  But I have been working on this for years, and I've gotten much, much better than I was when I was young.  It always helps to remind myself how things DID go my way, and to relive the moments when I felt on top of the world.  Like when you come in to work to find presents, cake, and a card waiting on your desk... or when you come home to find two packages waiting on your doorstep for you to open.  Even though you're 24 and not a kid anymore, these are the moments when the magic is still alive.

This pizza bread was a happy accident that resulted from an overabundance of cilantro (after making Shrimp Nacho Bites) and inspiration from Jim, my boyfriend Kyle's stepdad, whose food tastes, however limited, can be very tasty when they result in pizza bread, especially when he then shares with Kyle and me.  Mmm...


Ingredients for pesto!


Finished and green, after much chopping.  This would all have been much easier with a food processor, by the way...  Ah, next time.


Cilantro Pesto
(Adapted from Easy Cilantro Pesto Recipe)

3 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh cilantro, packed
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup toasted mixed nuts, finely chopped
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2/3 cup grated parmesan and romano cheeses
salt and pepper to taste

Thoroughly wash the cilantro.  Mix cilantro, nuts, and olive oil in a medium bowl.  Add garlic powder, cheese, salt and pepper, mix well.  Add small amounts of olive oil until pesto is desired consistency.


Rolled and ready to bake.


Finished loaf!


Cilantro Pesto Pizza Bread
(Adapted from Pesto Pinwheel Pizza Bread)

1 11-oz. package prepared thin crust pizza dough, or your favorite recipe for a 12-inch pizza
1 cup cilantro pesto
1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
1 tsp butter
Italian seasonings
tomato sauce for serving

Preheat oven to 450˚F.  Place a piece of parchment paper over a cookie sheet.   On a floured surface, roll out your pizza dough so it is about 1/4" thick, if it is not already.  (Hint: I learned the hard way - do NOT ball up a pre-prepared dough that comes out of a tube like Pillsbury's, because it will not roll back into a sheet easily!)

Spread pesto evenly over the dough, leaving 1/2" of space at all the edges.  Sprinkle cheese over the pesto.  Starting on one of the long edges of the dough, carefully roll the dough up into a pinwheel.  Tuck the edges in at the ends of the loaf when it is rolled.  Gently transfer the loaf to the cookie sheet with the seam of the loaf facing down.  Bake for 17-19 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from oven, brush the crust with melted butter, and sprinkle the top lightly with Italian seasonings.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes.  Slice and serve with tomato sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment