Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tuna Salad Sliders



This tuna salad is an old friend to me.  It was made entirely with things I already had in my kitchen, at hand, and I have definitely made it before.  Except before I put it on bread instead of dinner rolls.  But you know, I think the tininess gives them character.  As it does with so many people we know and love: the Munchkins of The Wizard of Oz, Peter Dinklage, Snooki...   OK maybe not Snooki so much.  Now I'm mad that I even know how to spell Snooki, gah!

I recently read a post written by a blogger named Helen Jane (whose link I found through Joy the Baker, my food blogging girl crush).  This post was about blogging, which is something I started doing nearly ten years ago on Xanga (wow), but it's also something that I feel like I'm only just getting into, since all my previous blogs were only for me and my friends (and e-friends) to see.  This type of blogging, I thought after reading food blogs like Joy the Baker, 30 Pounds of ApplesThe Pioneer Woman, and others that have become hugely popular, isn't nearly as much about your own musings and inner thoughts and emotions as it is about marketing to an audience, fitting into a niche, or having this upbeat, witty, slightly self-deprecating style that many of these women seem to echo.

But I read Helen Jane's post, her lament that the internet and, more specifically, the blogging world, is being increasingly monopolized by people who are doing it for money, for fame, for recognition, for something other than themselves.  And I thought maybe I had only been seeing that side of it so far, and maybe I didn't have to make my blog fit a template that I've seen repeated a dozen times or more at this point.  Don't get me wrong, I love the blogs I've mentioned above, and more like them.

But though I might be entertained by them, their style may not be one that I want to copy exactly.  I have my own voice.

So, in my own voice, I will tell you that this tuna salad is something I've made quite a few times, and is enjoyed by me and my boyfriend Kyle and whoever else happens to be there at the time.  The addition of the relish was an interesting idea that I got from my friend Dawn, who apparently got the idea from her mom, who got it from her mom, etc.  This tuna salad is nothing fancy, it's not gourmet, but it's what I like.  And that's what this is all about, yes?  I want to share what I like with you, in the hopes that you'll like it too, and share it with someone else in your kitchen, someday, maybe.  That'd be really cool.


Tuna Salad Sliders

1 12-oz. can albacore tuna in water, drained
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet relish
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1-2 pinches each of: salt, pepper, all-purpose seasoning (ie. Nature's Seasoning), oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed
4 dinner rolls
4-6 leaves Romaine lettuce

Combine tuna and mayo in medium bowl or (if you're like me) tupperware container.  Mix in onion and celery.  Season to taste, using any or all of the above seasonings, and mix well.  Cut dinner rolls in half with serrated knife.  Spread tuna salad onto bottom half of rolls with a fork, and top with lettuce.  Replace top half of roll.  Makes two servings of two sliders each.

No comments:

Post a Comment