Saturday, August 18, 2012

Chicken Asparagus Casserole



Sometimes recipes are very well-thought-out, meticulously planned beforehand.  Usually, I plan at least a few days beforehand just because I always go grocery shopping on Mondays.  But this one?  This was a spontaneous event, a result of a sudden and unexplainable craving for chicken casserole.  Well, that and I was trying to figure out what I could make with the canned chicken and spinach I had sitting in my kitchen that needed to be eaten.  And I didn't even end up using the spinach.  But I digress.

I was actually inspired by something my boyfriend's brother/my good friend Clayton made: a delicious chicken and broccoli casserole with a cracker crumb crust on top.  I ended up using asparagus and breadcrumbs instead, purely based on my mood at the moment I picked them out at the store.

Sometimes you need a little spontaneity.  When things are getting to be routine, when you find yourself doing the same thing every weekend (can anybody say, Chinese takeout and Stargate: SG-1 on Netflix?), you need to say, "I am craving a casserole.  So I'm gonna make a casserole.  Not someday, but today, right now in fact!"  It helps spice things up.  No pun intended...




Chicken Asparagus Casserole
(adapted from Mix and Match Casserole)


1 8-oz. container sour cream
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 10 3/4-oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 10 1/2-oz. can asparagus cuts and tips, drained
4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
3 5-oz. cans (approx. 2 cups) canned chicken breast in water, drained
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Combine sour cream, milk, water, salt, pepper, and cream of mushroom soup in mixing bowl.  Stir in asparagus, egg noodles, chicken, onion, and celery.  Spoon into lightly-greased 13" x 9" baking dish.  Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and breadcrumbs, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Note: Most of these ingredients can be substituted for something else.  See link to Mix and Match Casserole recipe for lots of ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment