Saturday, January 11, 2014

Projects. And Love.

I need a project.  After watching "Julie & Julia" for the first time today... as a food blogger, I need a project.  I need something that will keep me writing here, because it's rare enough that I cook something, what with the crazy hectic schedule of a grad student and teacher.  It takes all I have to make something that isn't frozen pizza, I will tell you right now.  So even if I do cook something, I just can't find the time or energy to take pictures, or to write about it.

BUT.  If I gave myself a project, like the one Julie Powell gave herself.  Maybe I could find the time to actually make food that is good for me, maybe some that's not, and maybe... just maybe, I could breathe life into my relatively short-lived and currently dormant blog.

I used to have a LiveJournal in which I wrote all the goings-on of my little life.  I was most active with it during high school, and some in college.  I chronicled every single day I spent in Paris, which I'm so grateful for.  But my last entry was nearly two years ago, and I can't think why.  I have just as many feelings now as I did then - perhaps more - but nothing seems as dramatic or perhaps able to be put into words as it did then.  Sometimes when I was feeling really crappy, I would rant and rave and dump everything in a private entry so I could just be rid of it.  I guess it wasn't too long after Kyle and I moved in together and I could rant and rave to him instead that I stopped writing everything down... Huh.  I guess boyfriends and blogs have a lot in common.




That's one thing I'd like to say, before I pick my next project.  I feel like all I've been reading about, watching movies and TV about, and hearing about is romance and love.  And I feel like, after 5 years in a committed relationship, I have something to say about it.  Respect each other.  Be kind to each other.  Talk about what you're thinking and feeling, even if you're afraid it's stupid, because chances are the other person has no idea what's going on in your little pea brain, and they don't know how to ask.

But most of all, don't treat your love interest like the enemy.  The point is to gain an ally, not someone to go to war with.  We all just want the same things in the end anyway.  To be loved and respected.

Be open, be honest, and don't ever be hurtful.  Say what you mean and nothing else.  No blows below the belt.  No name-calling.  No mind games.  No tricks.  I can't STAND couples on TV or in movies constantly deceiving one another.  I'd rather be Lily and Marshall than Lucy and Ricky any day of the week.

</rant>

Anyway, I always say how lucky I am to have found the person I'm with.  I tell him that all the time.  But I think the truth is that both of us have gotten fairly good at being in a relationship in general.  And that's why we work.  We're kind, we show gratitude, we show affection in all kinds of ways.  We laugh.  We cry.  We communicate constantly.  We always say I love you.  So just, treat your lover how you would treat your best friend, except with benefits.  If ya know what I'm sayin'.  Hur hur.

So, the project!  I got this amazing and hilarious cookbook from the aforementioned significant other for Christmas, called Cooking Comically, by Tyler Capps.   I would love to do with his book what Julie Powell did with Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, but there's just one problem.  Even though all of the food looks incredibly delicious, a lot of the food is not quite so healthy or light that I'd want to eat it all the time (i.e. Chicago deep dish pizza or bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers).

So, let's try something else.  Once a week, I will make a recipe from 30 Pounds of Apples, who over the past couple of years has moved to my #1 Food Blog Idol spot.  Kristi's writing is adorable and smart, her photography is gorgeous, and her recipes are totally accessible!

My #2 Food Blog Idol, Joy the Baker, has amazing photography and a cute writing style, but most of her recipes are just too... much.  Too too.  Like, as amazing as it sounds, I'm frankly intimidated by a dish called, "Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Waffles with Almond Butter, Banana, and Honey."  That's just a lot of things to handle in one meal.

So anyway, 30 Pounds of Apples it is.  I will choose one recipe per week from her blog and make it.  And then post it.  With a link.  Of course.  What do you take me for, a plagiarist?

With that... LETS DO IT TO IT.


No comments:

Post a Comment