Saturday, July 28, 2012

Successes and Failures, in a Basket

So I had a recipe fail this week.  I wanted to recreate Joy the Baker's Simple Roasted Apricots with Honey Mascarpone, but instead of looking like this,


...it came out looking like this.


OK, so some of the ugly appearance may be due to the fact that I'm using my phone's camera rather than a nice one.  I'm still in the market for a new camera to replace my Olympus Stylus that now refuses to turn on, so any suggestions are welcome, especially if you have firsthand experience with a P&S/DSLR hybrid.

A lot of it may be the fact that I did not wait until the apricots were cool to put on the mascarpone, hence the liquidy, blobby mess you see above.  That can easily be avoided next time.  But I think the real problem is that her recipe calls for "a quick blast under the broiler," but I don't really know how to use a broiler!  I thought a quick look on Wikipedia would give me enough information, but when it came time to actually work the oven, I was confused as to why my apricots were getting limp and squishy instead of firm and slightly blackened on top.

So, needless to say, I said, "fork this one."  Both literally and figuratively.  I had this whole entry planned about how Joy the Baker has come into my life and helped to inspire me to write this blog, along with other food blog mavens... but that entry will have to wait until another time, when I can try another of Joy's decadent recipes, hopefully with a little more broiling prowess.

One thing I did manage to make successfully this week was this wonderful creation, made famous by V in "V for Vendetta":

It's an Eggy in a Basket!  I got some quick directions one morning from this recipe on Food.com - extremely simple and quick - and it turned out to be delicious, and not too bad-looking.  I really do need to get a new camera, though.



Eggy in a Basket
(adapted from V for Vendetta's - Eggy in a Basket!)

2 slices whole wheat bread
2 large eggs
salt and pepper (optional)

Butter both sides of each piece of bread.  Cut about 2" hole in the center of the bread, using a sharp knife.  Preheat a non-stick frying pan or griddle pan on medium heat, and place bread in pan.  Gently crack one egg into the hole in the center of the bread.  Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper to taste.  When egg has solidified on opposite side, flip the bread.  Cook until over-easy or over-medium, as you prefer.  You can butter the bread centers and either eat those or use them to sop up the extra yolk.

2 comments:

  1. In your profile you said you didn't get cook lessons from family. I did but still the extent of my cooking skills is to pull box from freezer and microwave. One lesson a did get from my mom's mother is to clean as you go. Don't let the dirty stuff pile up in the sink to be washed later. Also, you'll be interested to know there is a little family connection to your last recipe. I know Eggy in a Basket as Huntsman's Eggs. That's what Nana called them. She used to make them for us when she lived with us.
    Can't wait to read more.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's really cool! Nana like, my great nana Cora? I didn't even know she lived with you! Thanks so much for reading - I'm planning on starting to post more now that grad school prep is winding down. :)

      Delete