Sunday, May 24, 2015

Asian Cashew Chicken



I really, really love Chinese food.  Any Asian food, actually, but especially take-out Chinese.  It gives me the same comforting feeling that other people probably get from fried chicken, mashed potatoes, or collard greens.  I can't explain it, but it just makes me happy.  But for some reason, I rarely cook Asian food myself.  Maybe I was afraid I'd get sick of it if I actually made it, or that I'd screw it up and ruin Chinese forever (highly unlikely).  Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try.

Another blast from the past (I first made it last January), this Asian cashew chicken is just as awesome as anything I could get at our local No. 1 Chinese Restaurant - and without all the MSG, whoo!  Makes great leftovers, too.  I proudly announced that I had made this from scratch when I brought it in to school for lunch the next day.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


The magic ingredients.

Buck buck ba-GAWK! (Chicken and egg wash.)

Veggies galore.

Cook dat chicken 'til it browns.

Ready to serve!


Asian Cashew Chicken
(Adapted from 30 Pounds of Apples)

3 T canola or vegetable oil
12 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 c frozen or fresh peas
1 scallion, chopped
1 c whole cashews
3 T soy sauce
2 T cooking sherry

1. Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat.
2. Chop chicken into one-inch pieces and combine in a bowl with the egg, salt, and cornstarch. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
3. Chop the scallion, and measure out the cashews, peas, soy sauce, and sherry; the meal cooks quickly once you begin.
4. Dump chicken pieces into the hot oil and sauté until it begins turning golden brown on the outside and the chicken is barely white all the way through.
5. Add peas, scallion, cashews, soy sauce, and sherry, and cook, mixing often, for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve over fried rice (I used a packet of fried rice spices and followed the directions on the package).

Note: This recipe can be doubled for twice as many nights of this awesome dish.  I'm pretty sure I did that, and it turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment