Sunday, May 3, 2015

Favorite Chili & Corny Bread



I have a confession to make.  It took some inspiration from my truly lovely friend Janine (over at HeARTful Cooking) to get back on my food blog.  I really enjoyed making it, and I've cooked so many interesting things over the past year, but never found the wherewithal to just bite the bullet and make a post about it!

I tend to be long-winded in my blog posts.  I think that's my problem.  Ever get to a point where you know it'll take you so long to do something (like, really unnecessarily long) that you just don't want to start?  That was where I was at.  For a year.

But I really, really like this little blog of mine, and you know, next year's going to be a little weird.  My funding situation is potentially non-existent.  I probably won't be teaching.  I'll be taking just two classes, most likely.  I'll be retaking a Masters exam.  So I'll need to find some solace in food.  Cooking it, not getting take-out like I have been.  But that's a different issue.  (Damn you, Falafels and your shawarma!)

Welcome back to Please Pass the Muffins.  Here, we like muffins.  And you.


This chili, which I made many months ago now, is the reason my pot is sad and blackened on the inside.  Do NOT let this go too long without stirring, or you will be sorry like I was.  My poor pot was not happy, but the chili was delicious.  Especially with Corny Bread on the side.

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

Mmm, smell dat turkey and onion.

All the spices.

It is incredibly necessary to partake of a good red wine whilst cooking chili.  It's just a rule.

Up from the ground came a bubblin' crude... chili, that is.


Favorite Chili
(Adapted from 30 Pounds of Apples)

2 tsp canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb ground turkey
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
30 oz tomato sauce
1 25-oz can pinto beans, with juices
1 15-oz can kidney beans, with juices
4 tsp chili powder
4 tsp cumin
3 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions soften. Add ground beef. Season with salt & pepper, adding more to taste if desired, and cook until meat begins to brown and is cooked through.
3. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat slightly so that chili is at an active simmer and cook for 20 minutes covered, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
5. Adjust seasoning to taste and add water if you find the chili is too thick.
6. Serve warm with cornbread (see below), garnishing with cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired (but let's be real, why would you not?).

==============

This cornbread was really interesting.  I think I liked it, but I think I was also expecting something... sweeter?  Firmer?  I don't know, but it was unusually moist and cakey on the inside.  I enjoyed it, but it just tasted and felt a lot different than I expected.  I think you'll like it, too, but just be prepared for a very different cornbread situation than what you're used to.


This is a really great cookbook, especially for semi-beginners like me.  Hilarious AND useful!

Choosy cooks choose Jiffy.

So many eggs.  This is probably the reason for the unusual texture.  Like I said, I'm not against said texture - I was just a bit surprised.

Important step.

Finished and smelling lovely!


Corny Bread
(Adapted from Cooking Comically)

2 8.5-oz packages corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
16 oz sour cream
1 5-oz can evaporated milk
8 eggs
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 16-oz can sweet corn, drained
1 16-oz can cream corn

1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Grease 9x9" baking pan, and a muffin tin.
3. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
4. Stir gently until combined.
5. Bake for 45-60 minutes.
6. Serve with chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment